Safeguarding your client’s confidentiality is crucial. All staff members should remain aware of agency protocols and work to protect clients.
Always check with your agency regulations and your supervisor to address agency-specific confidentiality or disclosure questions and issues.
- Understand what your agency’s written protocols are for needing, requesting, and accessing HIV-related information and explain these protocols to your client in a way that is accessible to him or her.
- Complete annual confidentiality trainings.
- Check with your supervisor about any issues you are unsure of.
- Know that HIV-related information includes HIV-related testing, status, or exposure.
- Both accidental and intentional disclosures are illegal.
When speaking with your client:
- Answer and discuss any questions your client is concerned about.
- Remind your client that confidentiality protocols are set in place to protect him or her.